Monday 11 May 2009

Children's book illustration

My brother Jed is 2 years old and when i went home i really loved reading to him. I love the illustrations in his books and have acquired several children's books myself over the last year or so. These are a few of my favorite artists who illustrate for children's stories.

Charlie and Lola were created by Lauren Child. The books were later made into a animated Tv series and tell stories about a brother and sister. She uses a mixture of photographic collage within her illustrations and a variety of textures and colors which make them eye-catching and interesting.








Felicitas Kuhn was an German illustrator for children's books in the 20's onwards. Her drawings are nostalgic yet so modern at the same time. I love the stylized look of her work and the themes are fairytale like.





Judith Kerr 's drawings from "The tiger who came to tea' remind me of my childhood as it was one of my favourite books.




All of these illustrations seem to have similarities; bright colors, good stories and a strong sense of presence. They tell stories of small children and animals. As these drawings are produced for children they must be straight to the point and readable.

It has really inspired me to experiment with my own drawings that could be suitable for children's books. This will also develop my range of abilities for my portfolio.

No comments: